Open Wound Care
Open Wound Care Instructions
We want you to be prepared for your plastic surgery in Maryland at our Plastic Surgery Services center. Make sure you acquire the list of supplies below to ensure that you will be prepared for your post-surgery recovery, including open wound care.
Supplies Needed (Available at the Pharmacy)
- Bacitracin (antibiotic ointment)
- Gauze (either 2×2 or 4×4)
- Remove the dressing the day after your surgery.
- After you have gently removed the dressing, liberally apply Bacitracin into the open wound.
- Cover the wound with clean, dry gauze.
- Repeat this process three (3) times a day, until your return visit.
Follow these warnings as well:
- Use only NON-ASPIRIN pain relievers, such as Tylenol, as needed.
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm, constant pressure with a gauze pad for 30 CONTINUOUS minutes.
DO NOT lift the gauze to check the wound before the 30 minutes elapses. It should stop.
- If excessive bleeding occurs from your plastic surgery in Maryland, or if you have questions, please call the office at (301) 791-1800.