Care for Sutured Areas
Post-Surgery Suture Instructions
Dr. Garazo is a respected plastic surgeon. Hagerstown and surrounding Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia men and women come to Plastic Surgery Services to receive the best care. Post-surgery care is equally as important and as necessary as the surgery. Please read the instructions below to ensure that you are healing and caring for your wounds properly. If you have any questions, please contact a Hagerstown plastic surgeon by calling our office.
- You may remove the bandages the day after your surgery. It is important that you keep the sutured areas dry in the meantime.
- After you have removed the dressings, gently cleanse the suture line using your fingertips with a mild antibacterial soap (like Dial or Neutrogena) and water twice daily. Carefully pat it dry. Lightly apply Bacitracin ointment twice daily.
- If a scab is present, clean area gently with a cotton-tipped swab and hydrogen peroxide, followed by soap and water.
- Use only NON-ASPIRIN pain relievers, such as Tylenol, as needed. (Please refer to the blood-thinning medication list.)
- If bleeding occurs, apply firm constant pressure with a gauze pad for 30 CONTINUOUS minutes.
DO NOT lift the gauze to check the area before the 30 minutes has elapsed. It should stop.
- If pain or bleeding persists or if you have any questions, please call the office at (301) 791-1800.